Blas Pardo and Marta Roca Receive Photography Prizes
Miguel Ángel Barón, president of the Association of Journalists of Navarra, presided the ceremony held in the Café Iruña to award first prize to Blas Pardo, the winner of the IV edition of the International Contest of Photography of the Encierro. The Mayor of Pamplona, Enrique Maya, gave Pardo a cobblestone taken from Estafeta street and 1,500 euros as the prize of the Town Hall of Pamplona.
Among the many assistants were Carlos Erce, director general of tourism of the Government of Navarra, the President of the Café Iruña and David Palacios, presidente of the Consejo regulador D.O. Navarra.
Marta Roca, photographer, was the winner of the popular voting on the web. Patxi Biurrun, manager of the Commercial Center Itaroa, awarded the special prize. Her photograph outvoted other photos selected by the president of the jury of the IV International Contest of photography of the encierro.
The sponsors of each stretch of the encierro were responsible for giving out trophies to the best photographs they had backed. The trophy is a sculpture made from the wood of a barrier post of the encierro at the point where the photos were taken.
The winners also received a magnum bottle of Chivite 125, courtesy of Bodegas Chivite.
First Official Prize
The Mayor of Pamplona, Enrique Maya, praised the winning photo while underlining the importance of these photographs of the encierro that contribute to promoting beauty of these images of the encierro. Blas Pardo received his prize with emotion and gratitude. The Town Hall prize consists of 1,500 euros as well as a sculpture elaborated from the post where Pardo took the winning photograph.
Winners and stretches of the encierro
- Plaza Consistorial. Sponsored by DO Navarra. David Palacios, president of the Consejo Regulador D.O. Navarra. Winner: Rubén Albarrán.
- Mercaderes. Sponsored by Freixenet. Ana Iruita, representing Freixenet. Winner: Jorge Nagore.
- Mercaderes Curve. Sponsored by La Mandarra de la Ramos. Awards the prize: Marta Lachén, member of the Association of Journalists of Navarra. The winner is: Rubén Albarrán.
- Beginning of Estafeta. Sponsored by Commercial Center Itaroa. Awards the prize: Patxi Biurrun, management of Itaroa. The winner is: Rubén Albarrán.
- Middle of Estafeta. Sponsored by Chez Belagua. Awards the prize: Miguel Moreno. Treasurer Association Journalists of Navarra. The winner is Jesús Chueca.
- End of Estafeta. Sponsored by Reyno Gourmet. Awards the prize: Cristina Lekumberri, director of area promotion of Reyno Gourmet. The winner is: David González.
- Duque de Ahumada. Sponsored by Rincón de Hemingway. Awards the prize: Rafael Irurita, president of Café Iruña. The winner is: Blas Pardo.
- Curve at Telefónica. Sponsored by La Boteria. Awards the prize: Fátima Ruiz, coordinator of the International Press Office. The winner is: Jorge Nagore.
- The slope to the entrance of the bull ring: Sponsored by Tourism Reyno de Navarra. Awards the prize: Carlos Erce, director general of tourism of the Government of Navarra. The winner is:Emilio Navarro.
- Slope to the entrance of the bull ring. Sponsored by the Cofradía Musical San Saturnino. Awards the prize: Chicho Sanz. The winner is Álvaro Barrientos.
- Entrance to the bull ring. Sponsored by Obra Social La Caixa. Awards the prize: Oscar Insausti, director Obra Social Caixa. The winner is: Jesús Chueca.
- Bull Ring: Sponsored by the Casa de Misericordia. Awards the prize: Ignacio Aldaz, Carpintería Hermanos Aldaz. The winner is Emilio Navarro.
A total of 23 photographers, accredited by the Town Hall of Pamplona to cover the encierro, presented 62 images of different moments of the encierro of 2013.
Members of the Jury:
- Fernando Múgica (Photojournalist)
- Javier Manero (Runner of the encierro)
- Xabier Aldaz (Carpintería Hermanos Aldaz Remiro. Responsible for the barricades of the encierro)
- Miguel Ángel Alústiza (director of external relations of the Casa de Misericordia of Pamplona.)
- Javier Iriarte (Photographer)
- Maite Sánchez Inchausti (member of the Association of Journalists of Navarra)
- Miguel M. Ariztegui (member of the Association of Journalists of Navarra)
- Maite Sánchez Inchausti (vocal de Asociación de Periodistas de Navarra)
- Miguel Moreno Aríztegui (vocal de Asociación de Periodistas de Navarra)